Saturday, March 4, 2017

Why I'm Leaving Facebook & Other Social Media Sites. (but keeping a few)



I’ve decided to take back my life.

As of March 17th, I’ll be gone from Facebook, and I don’t intend to return. I’ve already deleted Twitter, Tumblr, and Snapchat. I’d leave Google, but I have an email there. I’m also leaving Linked-in.  But I will stay on select sites:  Pinterest, Instagram, Goodreads, Amazon, my blog, my website. 

I’ve been contemplating this move for a long time. Facebook started out as a neat little place to interact and start some marketing has now turned sour (the last few years especially). I’ve grown weary of the drama, misinformation, and lack of filters. 

The reality is—my life isn’t on Facebook or any other social media site. My real life is off line, in a world that has rain, sun, day job deadlines, dust bunny revolts, and freshly brewed coffee.  The real world is where my stories evolve. 

Online is where my stories go to die, because I am distracted, and procrastinating on a social media site I really dislike. But why did I stay as it was? Because I told myself I have family there, and friends I’ve made. Plus, I really do like finding the articles about tiny homes, videos of cats behaving badly, and following weird news headlines that are meant to intrigue—but usually irritate me—and yet I still can’t help to click on them. 

As an author I told myself to stay because of marketing. I’m done with that.

I’m going to find another way to do the same thing, find inspiration, and not get distracted by the chaos intentionally set within in many social media sites.

Will I miss some of the people I know Facebook? You BET I will. But the ones who want to stay in touch will—and those who won’t –I wish them the best.  

I’ve already stayed to long.

I need to do things smarter, not harder. 

This choice isn’t for everyone, but since I made this determination—I’ve been at peace for the first time in a long time. 

I look forward to the quiet—and the time to write.  Maybe even have real conversations...

And I will say this—if my other sites become too much of a distraction-I will delete them too. I survived with Social Media for years, and was better for it. 

I can feel the stories beginning to peculate…or maybe that was the cheap oriental food I heated up for dinner...

If you want to stay in touch with me-- you can sign up for my newsletter on my website, email me, follow me on Instagram, Amazon, Goodreads...etc. or hang out here. 

I'm such a rebel....
And I have cookies...







25 comments:

  1. I will miss you on FB. And to say it, You're Right. I too came for marketing and friendships but my books aren't selling at the rate of time I spend on there. Again, you teach a lesson and I admire you. Please keep in touch. ))) Corset Hugs((( Ginny Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny--
      It was a hard decision, but I am glad I made it. Lets keep writing--and wading through life. You got this!
      You are fabulous!
      --MV

      Delete
  2. I believe you're right too... as a matter of fact, I highly doubt anybody would dare to disagree with you. The writers I see who are multi pub'd and successful don't post too much on FB. Others I see are branching out into teaching, editing, or other writing business branches.
    Yep... FB is a creativity-killer.
    My writing muse died by FB procrastination.
    And then I read an email that resurrected my muse and got me back to my Word program.
    I'm staying on Facebook because I have my crocheting friends there. There are patterns and lessons galore.
    I admire you for reclaiming your life.
    I'll miss you.
    But I know where to find you ;).
    Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs to you Pamela,
      I completely understand-- and I glad to be free of the time wasting aspect. I admit I'll miss many people--and things--but it is also freeing to me. You are one of the reasons I enjoyed FB! always a pleasure!
      (and I LOVE the crocheting pictures!)
      MV

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was removed because I need an editor for even a simple post! lol

      Delete
  4. You can't run from me, I'll find you! lol Our friendship matters and goes beyond social media. I applaud you for doing what's right for you! I'll be in touch. xoxoxox nancee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! I'm glad you'll stay in touch--you matter to me too!
      Besides--I want to see that new story... just sayin'
      Thank you my friend...
      MV

      Delete
  5. Well as long as you have cookies.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *always* have cookies. It's an institution... *grin*

      Delete
  6. Oh how I've wanted to do the same thing but feared that I was neglecting my responsibilities to promote my novels. All these promotion gigs ate up my precious time. The activity started because of the publishing contract I signed with the publisher - required that I spend time / money to push sales up. I wonder if the diligence to participate in promotional activity on my social media daily (more than once daily) turned into an addiction that snuck up on me. Thank you for sharing your experience. Many more writers may follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Publishing makes one afraid-- I felt the same--I *needed* to be out there, but really, I'm not getting much from it. Like you--it became too much, and now I'm taking charge.
      I Hope you find a way that works for you, I will cheer you onward!
      Freedom for writers... *grin*

      Delete
  7. Social media is definitely a time-suck, but I've learned to control it--thankfully. Facebook has limited an author's page reach so much that if it weren't for groups, I'd leave too. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marissa,
      Thank you! For many writers FB is still very successful for them-- sadly, not for me. Honestly I wish it was, but oh well. I was able to meet you --which is awesome! :)

      Delete
  8. I'll miss seeing your posts but will catch you on Instagram. I used to say the thing keeping me on FB was author marketing, but I'll be honest, it's also the dopamine hits from finding those rare gems among all the time-wasting posts. I may take Samhain's demise and the temporary disappearance of my books from retailer sites to take a much-needed long break.

    Whatever I do, I hope to stay in touch with you however I can. ❤

    -Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cecila,
      I LOVE your instagram account-- you have the neatest things. Seriously--love the food ones, I get inspired to cook.

      And that is a perfect thing to say "dopamine hits" you are so right! I hope you keep writing, I love your stories.

      And please stay in touch!! :)
      MV

      Delete
  9. I totally get this and support thus idea. Good for you and your writing. When I leave, which may be soon, it'll be for many reasons but it all comes down to the same core reason and that's the value of our time. Excited to see where you go from here! God bless! - mrs Tordella :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Carol--
      I applaud you! It's a tough decision, and I really struggled with it. But in the end, the peace of mind was far greater!
      Keep writing! I am excited to see what you do as well!
      MV

      Delete
  10. Oatmeal raisin? ☺ I'm in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This can be arranged! :)
      I love oatmeal, and lemon cookies, shortbread...chocolate chip.
      I'm thinking there will be blogs about this... ha! *grin*

      Delete
  11. I am not on facebook enough to miss you there. I would have no problem with eradicating Facebook from my life. My issue with facebook is that it is overwhelming. To much input. I occasionally, never more than once a week, show up there. I rarely comment. I have to be in the right range of thought, emotion, attitude to actually comment. I have lots of friends that are on facebook but that is not where I live. I understand leaving. There are times to move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is, and it is time. I find facebook too much of--everything. I could list the ways. There was a time, I enjoyed it. Not any more--not even for a weekly visit.
      Weirdly, I am very excited to leave...it's like going on a new journey...

      Delete
  12. I will miss you on Face Book. I totally understand your decision and wish you great success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I really hope you come and visit me here! ;)
      There will always be a warm welcome!
      MV

      Delete