Saturday, May 2, 2015

Cecilia Dominic has a new Book & a New Genre



It is my great pleasure to have Cecelia Dominic back on my blog. She has a new book out, but it’s not a paranormal, but a contemporary. I find this intriguing and exciting. 

MVF: Pull up a chair, and I’ll pour you a cup of coffee as we chat… 

CD: Thank you! I’m delighted to be here. You always give such fun interviews.

MVF:  Thank you!

You normally write paranormal, this time it is a Contemporary.  Why did you decide to write Contemporary? What inspired it?
CD: I didn’t actually set out to write a contemporary, but I got about forty thousand words into the first draft, and nothing weird had happened, so I guessed that was the direction it was going to go. I was also wanting to do a Masters of Fine Arts in fiction, and the book gave me the perfect framework to put together an imaginary program I knew I would enjoy. It also gave me the excuse to buy and read genre-writing books for research purposes.

MVF: Ah! I like the way you think. If you can’t do the actual course—write about it! I think that’s fantastic. 

CD: I should add that I never actually got an MFA, but I told Hubby that if we get to age 40 and don’t have kids yet, I’m going to seriously consider it.

MVF:  I don’t blame you! 

What was harder/easier to write contemporary as opposed to writing paranormal?

CD: When you’re writing the “real” contemporary world, there’s a lot less explaining because people have a framework for it already, and I didn’t have to do too much world-building. I based the university campus layout on UGA and even put some Easter eggs in there for those who are familiar with it.
The hardest part was that in my urban fantasies, the characters are important, but the paranormal parts often move the plot forward. Consequently, this was a different way of thinking about the characters and using them and their lives to progress the story.

MVF: You made me think about this—You’re right; in Paranormal there is a lot of outside push. This intrigues me. Now, I must ask—was the story written faster than your paranormals? Or did it take a bit more time?  Who is the publisher for this book? 

CD: This is another Samhain title. I love the artistic freedom they give me.
This was actually the third book I wrote overall, although it’s my fourth published one, and I can’t remember how long it took to write, but it was quite a process because it wasn’t written in one stretch. I started it from the heroine’s POV, put it aside for a bit, came back and added the hero’s, put it aside again, and finally finished it, but then didn’t do anything more with it aside from some halfhearted querying, all before I got published. Then it went through a major rewrite and revision before I submitted it to my editor.

MVF: Ha! That sounds awesome! Means it was a story that stayed with you.  So glad you got this book out.

Tell me about your book:  A Perfect Man, which will be released May 12.
How far will she go to find her perfect man? How far will he go to be one?

When Karen Hardeman sets foot on the Foothills University campus, it’s her first step toward proving her abusive ex wrong. Just her luck, her first writing assignment in Intro to Romance sends her in search of the perfect hero—a quest she’s never managed to conquer.
Worse, her professor forces her to collaborate with the most overconfident, annoying guy in the class.
Seth Sayers is also at Foothills to find new direction—preferably one that takes him far away from the family drama that’s followed him since his father’s death. He didn’t mean to humiliate Karen by rewriting her manuscript from the hero’s point of view. He blames the painkillers the ER doctor gave him after stitching up a wine-induced cut on his hand. 

As their collaboration progresses, Karen begins to trust Seth with her manuscript, then maybe a little piece of her heart. But Seth’s half-brother resurrects Seth’s suspicions about his father’s death. Until he finds the truth, he can’t be the hero in anyone’s life. Even his own.

CD: Warning: Some alcohol consumption. Okay, writer amounts of alcohol consumption. There are also some adult situations, but nothing too explicit. It is a romance-writing class, after all.

MVF:  Sounds delightful!

Your Hero and Heroine—Tell us what they do; and why.

CD: Karen is a former medical office manager (I can see you nodding) who has decided to pursue her lifelong dream of becoming an author after she finally broke up with her abusive bestselling author ex. She supported him financially and emotionally as he built his career and promised it would someday be her turn, but she realized that would never happen.

MVF:  Already I empathize! Escape the medical field! Oops….

CD: Seth always wanted to be a writer, too, but his mother steered him in the direction of software development, which he was good at. He’s saved up some money, but he really needs the inheritance from his biological father, who died when Seth was fifteen.

MVF:  I like how you set these characters up to find themselves; already I want Karen and Seth to find their way in the writing world. *grin*

CD: Thank you! It was fun to write their personal journeys as well as the start of their professional ones.

What does your heroine dislike about the hero? And the Hero about the heroine?

CD: Karen dislikes Seth’s apparent arrogance, which reminds her too much of her ex. She of course doesn’t realize he’s compensating for his insecurity about his writing abilities. Seth feels that Karen is a domineering woman like his mother but comes to realize his first impression about her wasn’t accurate sooner than she discovers the same about him. Of course they end up working together.

MVF:  I love false impressions---! Sounds like a book full of fun interactions. 

Do you have more contemporary books planned in the future?

CD: Not firmly, although I would like to continue to follow the characters in the class as they progress through the program and explore a different dyad for each book and each semester. I do have a premise for the second book, which would be A Perfect Crime, but I’m currently in the middle of a different series. I might take a break to work up a proposal for it sooner than later, though.

MVF: I think it is good to branch out to different genres—I think it helps strengthen the writing.

CD: I agree. This is also my first published work in third person, which was a nice switch for me. It gave me a lot more freedom with the plot.

What are you working on now?

CD: I’m currently working on the second in my Aether Psychics steampunk series. The first, Eros Element, will be out in August.

MVF: Oooh! A steampunk! Is this through Samhain?

CD: Yes! And I’m super excited about it. Think Big Bang Theory meets the DaVinci Code.

Now, you know I love coffee, so I have to ask—do you like yours as a latte, or black? Maybe you like a frappe? 

CD: Oooh, that’s hard. I do love coffee, all the coffee! In the morning, it’s plain with cream and sugar. In the afternoon, it’s an iced or hot latte or mocha, and sometimes I’ll splurge and do a frappe, but I have to be careful with those.

MVF:  Agreed, Frappes are dangerous things….. *raises a latte in salute*  may you always find a good cup of coffee. 

CD: Cheers, and likewise!

Thanks for being here! 

CD: Thanks for having me! Since we both love coffee, I’d love to give commenters a chance to win a $5 Starbucks gift card. All they have to do is say what their perfect coffee, tea, or milk-based beverage is.

MVF:  You are awesome!! 

CD: Aw, thanks, so are you!

Author bio:
Cecilia Dominic became a clinical psychologist because she's fascinated by people and their stories, but she couldn't stop writing fiction. By day, she helps people cure their insomnia without using medication. By night, she blogs about wine and writes fiction that keeps her readers turning pages past bedtime. Yes, she recognizes the conflict of interest between her two careers, so she writes and blogs under a pen name.  She lives in Atlanta, Georgia with one husband and two cats, which, she's been told, is a good number of each. She has been published in short story and novel-length fiction and currently writes urban fantasy, new adult contemporary, and steampunk for Samhain Publishing.
You can find her at:
Web page:  www.ceciliadominic.com
Wine blog:  www.randomoenophile.com
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/CeciliaDominicAuthor
Twitter: @RandomOenophile
She also occasionally attempts Pinterest at: https://www.pinterest.com/ceciliadominic/
To buy her books, you can get them in all ebook formats from Samhain Publishing: https://www.samhainpublishing.com/author/1740/cecilia-dominic
Here’s the preorder link for A Perfect Man. As of the time this blog post was turned in, the book was on sale for $3.85 ebook (all formats) and $11.89 trade paper from the publisher. https://www.samhainpublishing.com/book/5430/a-perfect-man
Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/a-perfect-man

NOTE: A winner will be chosen a May 6th. Please give me a way to contact you; such as  email:  name at whatever dot com; sort of thing. Thank you!

Want to follow Cecilia and her characters on the #12DaystoPerfect blog hop for the chance to win more cool prizes? Join the event on Facebook for daily updates and please consider liking her page while you’re there. https://www.facebook.com/events/472007642953392/ There’s also Rafflecopter giveaway for some grand prizes: Rafflecopter widget: a Rafflecopter giveaway

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me, M.V.! You give such fun interviews. :-) Wishing you a day filled with good coffee and lots of writing!

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cecilia, always a pleasure to have you!
      I'll always have a pot of coffee wiating. :)
      M.V.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, everyone must be out having coffee. M.V. wins the gift card! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are way too kind! :D Thank you!!

      Delete