Monday, September 15, 2014

Creativity Vs. Business with Author Kellie Kamryn


Author Kellie Kamryn

One of the most inspiring and upbeat writers I know is Kellie Kamryn. I met her at Moonlight and Magnolias—my first writing conference. She impressed me with her energy and positivity, she exudes confidence and compassion; a mix which serves her well as an author, narrator of audio books and a mom of four kids. She was a natural person to talk about creativity vs. business, and a bit more about her books!

How do you keep your creativity strong while dealing with the business side of writing? 
KK: I probably don't take care of the business side of things as much as I should! For me it's all about balance. There are times when I don't feel so creative which usually means I have to take care of business thing such as invoicing, blog posts, etc. Every morning before I write or narrate, I take the time to go through all my emails, post promo to social media, and take care of all those things. It frees me up creatively because I don't have to worry about that type of thing, and then I can get into my story - whether it's writing or narrating one.
MVF: Interesting; I like how you do the business stuff right off. I need to keep this in mind myself. I tend to get very distracted.

When time is limited how do you find or carve out time to get things done?
KK: As a single mom of four, time is a precious commodity! Schedules and lists work for me. I love my to-do lists! I keep myself on task so that I can get all I need to done in a day which includes healthy eating and exercise. I try really hard not to get distracted with social media and keep that to a set time limit. Sometimes the day doesn't go according to plan, so I arrange things accordingly. I give myself realistic deadlines that I know I can keep and stick to them.
MVF:  I actually needed to read this—stay on task, and be flexible. It’s amazing how we all make excuses why we are not doing things. And before anyone can be successful we must recognize this; bravo!

Everyone hits a block in writing or creating; how do you get through or solve it?
KK: If I hit a block, I know that it's because I've got other things in my life I have to deal with whether it's personal or professional. I take the time to sort things out, and I always know my creativity well will be filled again in no time.
MVF: This is good as well, recognizing you are hitting a wall. I agree with you, I think a majority of the time we have something going on.

You can find out more about Kellie Kamryn here; just click on this link:  Kellie’sWebsite

But I also wanted to let you know she has two books out in her new YA series---



Destiny is never what you imagine

Kayla Webber had been training to fight for the Light her entire life. Demons she could handle, but she'd been ill-prepared to come face to face with the man who haunted her dreams.
The time has come for Kaleb Warner to fulfill his shared destiny with Kayla. There's just one problem - she didn't realize he even existed.

Will Kaleb be able to convince Kayla to combine their gifts to fight against the Darkness, or will this star-crossed couple deny the truth in their hearts?




For three months, Kayla Webber has spent nearly every waking moment with Kaleb Warner, the man who shares her heart. Between training and getting to know each other, she’s had little time for herself. When Kaleb disappears for a few days, she welcomes the respite.

Meditation during the Vernal Equinox brings on a disturbing vision of Kaleb with another woman. Shaken up, Kayla travels home to her guardians for guidance. Before Kaleb returns, she must battle her own Shadow to keep the Darkness from taking what matters most to her Heart.

Sometimes you have to get lost in the dark before you find your way back to the light.

10 comments:

  1. I think you're an awesome and amazing woman, M.V.! Thanks for asking me some great questions, and hosting me today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kellie-- *blushing*
      It was a treat to have you here! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Lisa!
      Kellie is lovely to talk to--! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Lisa! Glad you stopped by :)

      Delete
  3. Seems we have another mutual friend, MV. With Kellie's gymnastic background, it's no surprise to me that she's conquered the trick of balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sherry! Glad you stopped by :)

      Delete
    2. *waves at Sherry* You both are awesome! :) Also--Kellie may one day teach me the art of the cartwheel.... (this should be you-tubed for sure!)

      Delete
    3. The next conference we are at together, I shall teach everyone a cartwheel!!

      Delete