Monday, July 7, 2014

Creativity Vs. Business; Chatting with Missy Tippens



I really enjoy chatting with creative people about their struggles with creativity vs. business and today MissyTippens, a wonderful Inspirational Author is here to talk about how she handles it all.

How do you keep your creativity strong while dealing with the business side of writing?
 MT: I have a hard time with this! Ideally, I make my word count goal for the day before I get online. But I rarely succeed. More often, I spend an hour checking email and blogs, doing any business or promotion, then settle in to write. Once I start writing, I try to stay offline until I need a break.
MVF: This is what I fight with—checking the email, the social media. I swear it is a pit one can fall into. I like how you set a word count, that’s excellent.

When time is limited how do you find or carve out time to get things done?
MT:  Deadlines are great motivators for me. The best thing that ever happened to me to increase productivity was signing my name on a contract. I turn off the TV, resist the temptation to shop, feed my family frozen pizza, even skip sleeping. I do whatever I need to do to make sure I meet that deadline!
MVF: This is important; to meet a deadline. I have to admit the no-sleeping part---that kills me. But I’m all for the frozen pizza… *grin*

Everyone hits a block in writing or creating; how do you get through or solve it?
MT: I force myself to plow through it, even if I loathe every word I write. I’ve found that eventually, the words will come easier, and I’ll start enjoying the writing again. I also remind myself that I can go back and fix it, can make those words better.
MVF: This is a truly important aspect—to keep pushing through no matter what. It’s like walking through molasses sometimes. Thank you!

It was fun to have you here today!  You can find out more about this lovely author and her books here:   MissyTippens.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me! I just turned in a book last Tuesday. It's taken me this long to recover! LOL I think I'm caught up on sleep now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! I'd totally be wiped! and YAY!!! for turning in a book!

      Delete
  2. By the way, I'm wondering if y'all have the same problem with hating the story around chapter 5?? I love those first 3 chapters in the proposal. But then in chapter 4 I have the hardest time figuring out what comes next. Then about chapter 5 or 6 I often lose my way. It's such a strange thing that happens with almost every story. That's an example of writing even when I think every word it terrible. I have to plow through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's any consolation--I despise my story after chapter three until the mid point then I despise it to the black moment. Write it...and think it's all horrible. But revision...ah, now that makes it shine! :) So you are not alone; and three cheers for pushing forward!!

      Delete
  3. There's a lot of hating and despising going on in these comments. Is it Monday already? LOL.

    I agree. First two to three chapters feel easier because it's the setup. After that, things seem clunky until midpoint. Takes a lot to work getting through that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Callie! I don't mean to sound so negative. :) I'm talking first draft. I like it a whole lot better once I revise and edit. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm going to chime in--I think when you write it's the inner voice you have to fight against--the key is not to listen to it and keep going on. :)

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that inner critic can be tough.

      Delete
  4. Great interview, Ladies! I'm with you on the love-the-first-three-chapters thing. I'm all about the setup and stakes but then just want to rush to the big 'ahhhhh' moment at the end. Working hard to keep momentum going on the journey to reach that moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Dana. I love zooming toward the black moment and then on to the end. But that middle part is difficult.

    ReplyDelete