Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Meet Author Houston Havens!



 I have a treat for you today, it is my pleasure to introduce to you one of my favorite people, Houston Havens. Her debut book is coming out this month and I had to have her on my blog. She’s fun, Irish, and oh so very kind. Please help me welcome her!

Author, Houston Havens
Tell us the genre you write
HH: Now you know I'm Irish, so I can't be simple in this answer. I write Romantic Paranormal, Futuristic-Fantasy, Erotic-Ménage, Sci-Fi, Post-Apocalyptic-Dystopian, with a sexy western tossed into this mix. I'm an all genre' kind of author...like a rolling stone, I write what I feel and what moves me to tell. My book series Psychic Ménage crosses several of these genre'. It's a futuristic Post-Apocalyptic-Dystopian world that sets this story's pace and with each book unfolds Paranormal happenings and discovers beings once thought of as fantasy or mythical creatures are in fact real. This series blends fantasy and facts to create a fascinating read
MVF: I can relate—I’m a cross genre writer myself.  But I am impressed, this is no mean feat and managing to blend them is fabulous.
HH: Thank you for the kind words, MV. This means a lot to me. I’ve seen your work and the style of your voice and you are a marvelous author...so this is a great compliment you give me. *Hugs* I think a braided story is far more interesting for the reader. I write for the reader who loves her happy-ever-after ending (for the hero and heroine) BUT doesn’t want the story to end. This is what I hope my series with all the intriguing characters and worlds will give them.

What drew you to this genre? 
HH: Life: it is not one thing that moves me ... it is all things created that does ... there is no one genre that can hold this Irish girl ... life weaves in and out of fact and what some call fiction ... so I follow the wave of life and all things created to weave my tales to entertain you.
MVF: This is a good thing—this means you are a true story teller!
HH: Yes, I am. It’s in the Irish blood I carry within me ... blood that came from the Druids.


Tell us about your book (blurb):

SINFUL SURRENDER

Mini Blurb
Top psychic spy Fay Avalon is on the run from her post-catastrophic dystopian government, searching for the truth. She escapes only to land in the arms of the enemy. Once Logan and his brothers discover who she is, will they make her their wife or execute her as a spy?
Blurb
Top psychic spy Fay Avalon saw too much on her latest mind traveling mission and is now on the run from her post-catastrophic dystopian government, searching for the truth and proof. She escapes but is shot down, landing in the arms of the enemy. 
In Drakker and Arlo’s world, women are so rare the men have accepted a polyandrous lifestyle. When the brothers stumble upon Fay unconscious in the wreckage of an aircraft, they are immediately attracted to her. Arlo wants to keep her, but Drakker knows they can’t. They must take her to their brother Logan Abán, leader of their people. 
Logan struggles with trusting anyone, even himself. When a beautiful, intelligent, and intriguing woman falls into their laps, his denied desires for intimacy challenge his need to trust the spy. He’s frustrated by romantic Arlo’s claims of her innocence. Even when pragmatic and dominating Drakker defends her as well, Logan still refuses to trust his gut. 
Can one woman satisfy the diverse desires of three men? Will Logan’s fears be realized by betrayal? Is Fay to be sentenced to death as a spy, suffer a fate worse than death by being returned to her government as a traitor, or will she find a new life and love as the wife of three sexy brothers?
MVF: This is fascinating—you are right you have a bit of everything—but the most important thing I see is the characters, their hopes and dreams. An intriguing story!
What inspired this story?  
HH: The things that are happening in our world today, particularly in the United States, and what I've learned about HAARP and Remote Viewing.
MVF: I think there is so much out there that can be used in story telling—I like how you embedded them into yours.
HH: Thank you.

And what was easiest/hardest thing about this story?
HH: Showing Drakker (one of the heroes) was the easiest. This tall, dark, and handsome man came through to 'talk to me' quite clearly. He's fun, sexy, and has multi-layers to his personality. He made it so easy to write his scenes, and he taunted me and every female who has 'met' him with his sexy and seductive ways. I just love him. 
MVF: I adore characters like him—they are “there” and the story flows when they walk on the page.
HH: I so agree. I love it when the characters talk to me, even when they want to take the story one place and I’m trying to take it in a whole other direction. I’ll argue with them, but they drag me screaming and kicking down their path until I see WHY they took me that way ... of course then I’m grateful for the journey ... and oh what a story they unfold. So, my advice ... never fight the side trips the characters take you on.
MVF: I’ve had a few drag me. Sigh. You’re right; fighting them just bogs one down!

HH: The hardest was trying to hold back on exposing too much of the other worlds that will follow Sinful Surrender. Each book takes the reader deeper and deeper into the paranormal of ghost and magic. Drawing them deeper into the fantasy of the Star Rider and FAE beings, while remaining rooted in this futuristic world of the Airbornes'. This is a braided tale, kind of like 'Lord of the Rings' but in the future not the past, and with lots of sizzling romance! Each book stands alone, but if you're a reader who loves mystery, magic, and romance you'll like this series and how it grows deeper as you move through the books. 
MVF: I love when there is great depth in world building and the tension of romance—and it is hard to hold back. How many books are going to be in the series? Or is that something we must hang on for? *grin* 


HH: LOL. There are seven books in the Psychic Ménage series, but the second series coming out is linked to this first series even though the readers will be in the magical, mysterious land of the Fae, characters from the Psychic Ménage series will be spotlighted in series two. Like my books ... my series are braided with each other.
MVF: This sounds fabulous!

How do you write?
 HH: I'm a full time author, and I work for a very hard and demanding boss (ME ;-D )! I demand a lot from myself, so my day starts at 5AM and I work about a 16 hour day every day. 
MVF: I confess I envy this—but this is wonderful. And 16 hours—yikes! But if you love something—you’ll invest the time, that’s my thought.
HH: I agree, and I hope my readers will see the love and time I put into each story for them. I do think of my readers while I write. I want to captivate them, intrigue them, and excite them. I want them to want more. I am not perfect, but I do try ... for them.

What are five books you've read that have influenced your writing? 
HH: Showing & Telling by Laurie Alberts, How to write a Bestseller in 40 days or less by Barbara DeBolt, Scene & Structure by Jack M. Bickham, What Every Body is Saying by Joe Navarro, and The Emotion Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi. All awesome books to improve your craft. 
MVF:  These are wonderful craft books, and I am jotting a few down. I have the Emotion Thesaurus. Now, I must ask, what are five fiction books that have inspired you?
HH: I don’t read a lot of fiction. But on those rare occasions that I do ... I enjoy J.R. Ward, Ann Gimpel, Anita Cox, and of course M.V. Freeman.
MVF:  Aww…thank you! I will suggest one thing to help with the reading—audio books. Trust me, this helps!

For fun--what  do you prefer: Tea, Coffee, wine? (Water is a given!)  
HH: White chocolate, caramel Coffee, PLEASE! YUMMY!!
MVF: oooh! That sound delish! I need to try this.
HH: Hills Bros. Cappuccino 16oz. Come on over ... I’ve got the water boiling! *Hugs*
MVF: I’ll be right over!
M.V, thank you for allowing me this time to share my news about Sinful Surrender's release date on March 17th with you and your readers. And oh, you had a question asking me to name 5 things I adored ... you, my dear friend, are one of those things I adore.
Houston, the pleasure is all mine, I think you are fabulous and I look forward to seeing you back here again!
AUTHOR BIO: Erotic romance author Houston Havens, a former successful model enjoying an adventurous jet-set lifestyle, intrigues her readers with a mix of the past, present, and future, and sexy blends of futuristic science fiction, paranormal fantasy, and western romance, always with love everlasting. A tenacious Irish lass filled with passion and mystery hopes her sultry stories will entertain and fascinate those who dare to take the journey. She’s also a social media junkie with an award winning blog. http://houstonhavens.wordpress.com

Trailers:
http://youtu.be/TI3Cf_3bcpk  (long version)

You can find Houston here (Click on any one):


A short clip showing the fantasy side of this story:
The place was swarming with a mix of New and Old World Moles bustling here and there. He’d heard the rumors from Drakker about the appearance of the Old World Moles. Though their features were almost the same as the New World Moles, they had a more refined beauty. Their men were as exquisite in their handsomeness, as their women were in their fairylike magnificence. The rumors were true. Not only was their attractiveness flawless, but there was an ageless glow to their flesh. The real clue to the Old World Moles’ ancient bloodline was the elongated top part of their ears protruding from beneath their shiny, silklike, pale blond hair. Dark hair seemed to be an oddity among them. Overly large eyes in unusual pastel colors told Logan who the Old World Moles were as well.
A man of undetermined age about a foot shorter than Logan with waist-long hair strode toward them. A striking red-tailed hawk perched on his shoulder.
“My dear Chandra,” he exclaimed in a gentle voice that belied his age. “So glad you made it. The Dirt Dwellers are in the vicinity. They have released cyborgs to comb the entire area. We can only hope they don’t find us.”
“Gansu.” Chandra patted him on the back then tossed a hand out in introductions. “This is Fay Avalon and Logan.”
He focused his powder-blue eyes on Fay. “Era uoy ton Ednaloe, rethguad ot Neeuq fo nalc Naleehk, regnuoy retsis ot Dlogiram? Wohs em ruoy oottat.”
She stiffened, looking very uncomfortable under his scrutiny. “Pardon me?”
He lowered his gaze and bowed his head. “My mistake, I thought you spoke Elvish. I said you resemble someone I knew long ago.” His glance shifted to Chandra.
An uncomfortable silence fell around them. So, Logan pondered. The lore Drakker told me about the Old World Moles with bloodlines tied to a faery race is true. It was the first time he’d heard the actual language spoken.
It was clear Chandra was unaware of the awkwardness when she asked Gansu, “You found Logan’s brother?”
“Oh, the stranger.” He raised his gaze and looked at Logan. “Yes, he’s in the ER. I’ll take you there.” He led them toward a spiral staircase in the middle of the circular area. Rubbing the top of one of his elongated ears, he looked at Fay and said, “Exceptional color to your eyes, my dear.”
Again, her body stiffened at his comment. She passed him without uttering a word and descended the stairs. Gansu placed his hand at the center of Logan’s chest, stopping him from following the women. “You wouldn’t happen to be Logan, the leader of the Airbornes would you?”
“I am. If memory serves me correctly, you lead the Moles.”
“That is correct.”
“This is a little hasty, but time is valuable for us both. Would you being willing to set up trade with the Airbornes?”
“We’re desperate for cotton. We need it for clothing. We can use rice, sugar, corn, apples, oranges, lemons, and wheat…for starters. What would you like from us?” Gansu’s lips almost made it to a smile as he gave a respectful bow of his head.
“Technology.”
“Deal. Later let’s set up a schedule for exchange.” He lifted his hand from Logan’s chest and glided it through the air in a motion that said he could pass. “It’s nice to finally meet you face to face, Logan. I’ve heard great things about you.” Gansu followed behind him. “Your brother is on the second floor. He complained of dizziness, and he seems agitated, like he’s searching for something. We tied him down.”
Logan paused. “You’ve restrained him?”
“For his own safety, I assure you. When he stands, which he kept trying to do, he’d fall down. We didn’t want him to bust his head open or break a limb. He wants something, but we’re not sure what.”
“Any other signs of injury? Anything to indicate a serious problem?”
“None. Don’t expect great wonders of medicine here. This is just an outpost, and there are no healers here. Anyone who recognizes the problem becomes the doctor for the moment.”
Logan smiled. “Ah ha, I can trade health info and techniques with you as well.”

32 comments:

  1. *waving* Hi Houston. Love this story. It has a little bit of everything for everyone in a very interesting world with great characters. Love the tagline: Why be tempted by one man’s seduction when you can be loved by three?
    I miss characters and world already and can't wait to read book two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wab! :*grin* so glad you could stop by---Isn't she awesome? I love the tag line as well!

      Delete
    2. Hey Wab ... and MV! Sorry it took me so long to get here ... had trouble getting my replies to post...but here now. Hugs WAB! Thank you for coming by and not to worry book two is on the way! wink!

      MV! Hugs big warm ones and thank you for having me here today!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Tara,
      Thanks for stopping by--I am so excited for Houston! :)

      Delete
    2. Tara ... you're support is awesome! Thank you for doming by to visit. Thank you for the kind wishes.

      MV...You're a true friend. I adore you!

      Delete
  3. Houston, congrats. I know how hard you've worked on this book and how much you love it. Your readers will love it too! Very sexy read!
    Linda Bond
    www.lindabond.com
    www/facebook.com/authorlindabond
    @authorlindabond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda!
      Isn't is awesome?! :) Glad you came by!

      Delete
    2. Linda Bond!! Thank you hon ... and soon we will be doing this for your book that's due out this summer! Again, thank you for stopping by!

      hugs
      Houston

      Delete
  4. Congrats Houston! I'm sure it'll be a mad success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita--Yay--I agree with you completely!

      Delete
    2. Big hugs Anita!!! You're a sweetheart for stopping in! Thank you!

      Aaah ... MV...thank you hon!

      Delete
  5. Great Q&A ladies. I loved this book. I was lucky enough to read it early on in its conception. Drakker is so my book boyfriend. Well so is Logan......and Arlo.lol. oh and a side character that gets his own book later ;) Ok ok I love them all. I think readers will love this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elaing8!---see this is what I adore when you find yourself enjoying very much in love with the heroes--this is fabulous! I had fun asking questions...next time I may interview a few characters too....just a thought.

      Delete
    2. LMBO ... Elaing8 ... a big kiss (and I know you hate that, but you get it anyway) Ssssh, don't tell them about Faerydae yet! I know he's your favorite book boyfriend...Drakker runs a very close second in your heart.

      MV ... you watch that Elaing she'll corrupt you like she did me ... oh but it's sooo much fun to be bad! wink

      big hugs to you both
      Houston

      Delete
  6. Wow, I am so excited. Can't wait to read your new book. Congratulations Houston!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda--Oh, you'll have a fun read for sure! :)

      Delete
    2. Rhonda ... your support is amazing. BIG BIG HUGS from me to you...After you read it I'd love to hear what you thought.

      MV ... again, thank you for the fun I've had here today...You're the best and so dear to my heart. I adore you! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Nice interview! Congrats to Houston, her book should sell well among the sci-fi paranormal fantasy etc readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Oscar--I really love cross-genre writing and I think this fits it, and I love her imagination! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. OMG OSCAR!!! I'm hugging you extra big! Thank you hon for coming over and giving me your two cents! Your words are golden! You're awesome! Thank you Oscar! Have you seen that Cowboy - you know the one named Valance around? Tell him Housty's looking for him.

      Big hugs dear friend.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Houston--you are the best! So glad you were here today--! :) I hope, no, I know you'll be back! I insist on it! HUGS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. MV ... You know I'll come here whenever you want! And like I always tell you, I'm like a mirror ... I reflect what I see ... the best is you! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Houston and MV! *waves* from the comments :) Great Q & A! Houston, I take real cream with my coffee and love ketttle bells too, but I'm Scottish decent. This book sounds amazing, especially Drakker, I just love tall dark and urbane. congratulations! xo, Susannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susannah!
      So glad you stopped by! And oooh, you like kettlebells (this is awesome!) We'll have to chat sometime for sure about it! :) Hugs!

      Delete
    2. Hi Susannah! *waving back* Aha ... So...that's where your exotic good looks come from ... those Scotsmen know how to do it right....you lucky thing you! Oh...you'd better run...my Drakker will be chasing after you.
      Thanks for the congrats! Hugs back

      and MV

      Delete
  12. Yeah I am sooo happy for you and I can't wait to get lost in your books!! I can't imagine what western fella could show up *wink! Anyway, I miss you terribly I need to stop by more often! HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG!!!! KRACKEN!!!! BIG BIG HUGS!!!!! I've MISSED YOU!!!! Where have you been ... off with Housty and that Cowboy, I reckin' ... I miss the Porch and those two crazy people. I hear Housty goes back now and then searching for her cowboy.
    Me, I've been writing Sinful Surrender and I so hope you enjoy it ... You'll have to tap me and let me know! Please do stop by ... I have missed you.
    Big Hugs and Big kisses, sweetie!
    Houston

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy SHOUT OUT Batman! Houston likes me ;) Great Interview! And yes, Houston is the bomb.

    ReplyDelete