Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Conferences and Spicy Feta Dip

Today I leave for one of the biggest conferences: RWA Nationals held in Atlanta, Georgia. Am I nervous?

Yes.

For this introvert being surrounded by many people makes me uneasy, but I am not going to let it deter me. While I travel and hob-nob with authors, readers, editors, and agents I thought I'd leave you with a gift--A Recipe.

I love to write, but cooking is another favorite activity. I like to try different things. It is my goal to share them with you here on this blog. I'll let you know if it works, what I may have done wrong (this happens a lot) and how it tastes.

Today is:   Spicy Feta Dip, by Joanne Weir. (I've recently found her on PBS, and I am hooked!)

Ingredients: I bought everything from Kroger, a store chain. I didn't go to Fresh Market where the prices are higher I was going for affordable. Don't get me wrong, when I can, I go to the fancier places because of the selections. But my goal is to share recipes that everyone can get the ingredients for easily.

1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt, drained in a paper-towel lined sieve for 4 hours (I messed up and used 1 1/2 cups. Still was good!)
Salt--I used very, very little. I found the feta cheese salty enough.
10 ounces feta cheese--I used some already crumbled, it was cheaper. Some feta cheese was $10 to -$14 or higher for 6 ounces. So I used a store brand and it worked fine.
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cayenne--I used 1/2 a tsp.
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Imported black olives as a garnish --I got this from Kroger.

Steps
Step 1: Place the yogurt (I used Fage Greek Yogurt, 2%, I don't like skim) This is after 4 hours.
 
Step 2: Put the yogurt, feta and salt (to taste) and mash with a fork/spoon until its a smooth paste. Mine turned out sort of lumpy.
Step 3: Add garlic, cayenne, paprika, and olive oil and mix well. It's beginning to look promising.
Step 4: Mix together, I used a hand held puree--and I am thinking it would have been better in a blender or food processer. It was lumpy still.
Step 5: Add olives and drizzle some olive oil. I admit, probably more olive oil than necessary...but it was good!
 
Now find some thin crackers or bread and and enjoy. It was addictive. In fact my family is demanding more. Joanne Weir's website has a recipe for crispy flat bread to go with it, but I wasn't in the mood to undertake that project!
 
So as I go to conference I have a challenge for all of you:  I want someone to make this dip and tell me what you think?
 
Note: I apologize if I am slow to respond. I may or may not have access to a computer while I am at conference, but I will happily respond when I return!
 
Keep reading, writing and cooking.
 
Next time: Workouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment