Friday, June 7, 2013

What I'm Reading Now (As I Revise and Plot)


It is imperative a writer refill the well. I do this by reading and watching movies and TV shows. I've already seen Iron Man 3, and Star Trek 2. I'm awaiting the newest installment of Superman. I don't have time to re-watch the first three seasons of Vampire Diaries..so this leaves me to books.


These books are gripping and awe-inspiring. They remind me why I love to write and to read. 

By Jeaniene Frost

Once Burned, by Jeaniene Frost. Audio by Tavia Gilbert.

Have I mentioned before I have a weakness for Slavic heroes? Vlad, is the perfect one.  He's arrogant, ruthless, and in his way honorable. Leila is a circus performer by chance, with a wicked power of her own.

It's explosive...I read it via audio by Tavia. Her take on Vlad's voice is fabulous--I never hear her anymore, only the voices of the characters. Plus, we get a quick visit with old friends. (If you haven't read the Night Huntress Novels with Cat and Bones, you're missing a fabulous read).

Funny, when I was done, I wanted more...and as luck would have it--the next book was out.

By Jeaniene Frost

Twice Tempted, By Jeaniene Frost, with Audio by Tavia Gilbert.


I thought Vlad was fabulous in the first book--but oh, was he magnificent in this one. Leila has a new enemy and before she knows it she finds herself in a situation where there is no turning back. (no worries, Vlad wins...) Notice I gave no pertinent info. 

I stayed up into the wee hours reading--after I told myself  I would read "a few chapters".  I haven't gotten the audio, but the way things are looking---that's next on the list. Sure, I read the book--but the audio makes it come "ALIVE". Which, if you haven't tried it--I highly recommend.

These two books reminded me why I adore anti-heroes and romance. But, now I wondered what should I read next?

By Jim Butcher

 Storm Front, By Jim Butcher. The first in the "Dresden Files" series.

I admit, I dragged my feet starting this series. Why? Truthfully, when you have more than 5 books I felt like I missed the boat. But, I finally decided to sit down and start reading.

I'm a few chapters in and glad I started. Harry Dresden is a the only openly practicing Wizard in Chicago. He "finds" things, has had a little trouble with the White Council, and is on retainer with the Chicago PD for those strange cases. Now he's in the middle of murder investigation--can he stay out of trouble? (That's what I'm asking myself)

This book, I'm trying to savor. I inhaled the first two of Jeaniene Frost's and I need to enjoy this like a fine meal, but I'm afraid I'm going to just plow through it. I want to know what happens, and making the reader turn the page is priceless.

What are you reading? Or do you prefer audio? Any books you love to re-read or listen to?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these book. Shame on me! I really need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ingrid,
      Ah, this is why I like audio, I get a chance to read when I can't sit down to do so.
      But I hope you get a chance to try one or two of these books!

      Delete