Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Radio Interview on Saturday

I'd like to say I was a natural speaker, I am not. My comfort zone is in words, and writing.

In Saturday, April 6th,  I was interviewed by the gracious Lydia Aswolf, a delightful reader and writer I met on Twitter. I shudder to think what I sounded like, but here are some of the things I discussed:

  • How I got my agent.  This is a unique story and not one that happens every day, I obtained my agent after she read my first book, Incandescent.
  • What is important in an agent. You want someone who loves your writing, and who is a team player. Together my agent Victoria Lea from the Aponte Literary Agency and I work to benefit each other--but ultimately, I have to produce the product. (Which means I have to finish my book!)
  • What inspired me: Not only writers in the Urban Fantasy genre like Stacia Kane, Ilona Andrews, or Jeanine Frost, but the old school fantasy writers --J.R.R. Tolkien, and Anne MacCaffrey. But they weren't the only things that inspired me.
  • Comic Books: These were a major factor, my favorite hero was Wolverine--the first "anti-hero" a guy who got things done with his own code of ethics. Plus-the action, I find I have to keep it moving fast in my stories.
  • What gets me in the mood to focus and write: Music. My play list varies. I will tweet about it from time to time. (As an Aside I'm on Spotify, which has lots of lists I've created.)
  • Scarlett Johansson-Black Widow (Free Wall Paper)
  • Strong Heroines:  My idea of strong heroine isn't always the one that can take out the bad guy (except for Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow in Avengers--lets face it she rocks). For me strength is about surviving, dealing with circumstances, and knowing what your strengths and weaknesses are.  It is a fine line to create a heroine who is strong--and not make her continually nasty and obnoxious. And one who is trying to make the right choices and screws up--but gets up and keeps trying. Also--humor is very important.
  • Social Media: This is important tool for the writer to meet the reader and other writers. The biggest rule I have for myself--if I'm truly angry or upset is not to post. I'm not talking the somewhat snarky posts about the odd situations that you find yourself in you can twist into humor or we all experience. I'm talking the personal fury of someone targeting a person, book, etc. Those things you can't take back. Sure, I've posted and written some things I'd wish I hadn't, but I own what I've done. My goal now is to meet people, sell my books, and make slighty acerbic comments on how early the morning comes, how coffee is my life's blood, and kettlebells are my new best friend.
  • Plans and Finishing the book:  Now my goal is to complete my second book, Illumination and then write a few novellas in the process as I plot the third book.
That is it in a nutshell. I'd like to say I was eloquent -- but I wasn't. My phone cut out half way through (quite comical). Will I do this again, I hope so.

Now, speaking of...I'm going to finish this book.

Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

  1. I love what you said about the fine line between heroines being strong and sometimes falling into being snarky and obnoxious. Strength is in many forms and I love a heroine who isn't your usual kick-ass gal, but manages to find a way to deal with her problems and confront her weaknesses.

    You rock, Mary!
    Debbie Herbert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, and you rock as well!

      Cheers!
      Mary (M.V.)

      Delete
  2. M.V.,

    You've probably read them...Ursula LeGuin, Margaret Atwood, Octavia Butler...three great sources of unforgettable heroines.

    Nice blog!

    --Nelson Denis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nelson,

      Ah! Yes, Those are some of my favorites! I am glad you brought them up. You are correct--I've read them and loved them. Except, I am going to have to read Octavia Butler--I went and checked out her books and they look amazing. Thank you--I'm always looking for authors I may have overlooked (especially because of the heroines!)

      And thank you for your kind words about my blog! I hope you come visit again.
      Cheers!
      M.V.

      Delete