Monday, March 18, 2013

The Making of a Story

Welcome!

This is my first official post on my blog--a place where I am going to focus, not on craft, but on on what I write, the characters I create, and my many other loves. Did I mention kettlebells and coffee? Because they are sure to be here. 

I want to thank Tawnya P. for helping name the blog and Shanna R. for the assistance in creating this. I am grateful!

I have been tagged twice for the Good Reads interview/Next big thing blog hop. First by the soon to be published the wonderful Linda Joyce and the gracious Andee Reilly- a fabulous writer of women's fiction. I am amending this blog hop and not tagging anyone, not because I don't want to, but because of circumstances. Below are few others who are participating.

Questions:

What is your working title of your book?    Illumination.

Where did the idea for the book come from?

 This is a continuation (but stands alone) from the first book: Incandescent. In this story, I wanted to explore what happens when two people are on opposites side of a war. I complicate this with the heroine who is deeply in love with the hero, a man who won't admit his own affection for her. I refer to this as my Romeo and Juliet story with bite.

What genre does your book fall under?

  Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy. It is a cross genre because I like the mix. I love the grit of Urban Fantasy with the tension of Romance. This allows me free reign with my characters. I can create unique heroines and put them in the middle of strange situations facing Alpha Anti-heroes, men who are hard with their own set of rules. It is fun to write and to read for me.

Which actors would you chose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Joseph Morgan
Joseph Morgan would be perfect to play my hero Xander. The actor has the ability to portray sophisticated men who are ruthless, but with a deep vulnerability which is imperative to my current character. I found he drew my attention with his portrayal of Klaus from "Vampire Diaries". Besides, he has this lovely British accent....






Ashley Greene







Ashley Greene, is my choice for the Heroine Mina. Her ability to portray Alice from "Twilight" was exquisite. I believe she'd represent Mina's quirky personality, who fights her own dark nature (and love of cheese-puffs) perfectly. She has the right combination of winsome, humor, and deadliness.





What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Fleeing her own kind who want her dead, Mina turns to Xander her people's mortal enemy for help; he faces a choice, assist her and lose everything, betray her and regain it all.

Who represents your book?

The fabulous Victoria Lea from the Aponte Literary Agency

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

This is hard to admit but I am finishing it up even as I write this blog post. It will have taken me 7-8 months. But my goal is to make the revisions easier, instead of ripping it apart and re-writing significant portions.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

The closest thing I can compare it to would J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series--it is dark, with multiple POV's in a world of grit and intrigue. Also Karen Marie Monings Dark Fever series, because of the world building and the things populated within it.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

This whole series was inspired by the movie "Eastern Promises", starring Viggo Mortenson (and the inspiration for the hero in book one). I liked the idea of a people, especially powerful ones, operating just outside of the human population and what happens if those, once ignorant, begin to notice the existence of these other races. (I love stakes that are high)

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

For fun, I am putting the first couple of paragraphs of the story set-up here:

    "A failure."
    Stieg frowned instead of answering the Chairman, he pulled the shoeet over the girl's body. The small movement caused bits of epidermis to flake off her cracked dried skin. At fifteen, the plump smoothness of her body was gone. Now it resembled a slab of dehydrated meat. Stieg was a Mage board memeber, one of six second only to the Chairman himself. But that didn't mean a damn thing now that he was under house arrest. His only value lay in experiementing on the young of the three races, Mage, Elemental, and Dark like this husk of a girl. Humans, were useless and better left alone.
    "This makes ten Elementals in the last six months and three Darks." He couldn't help but smooth her gray hair; the strands were prickly and straw-like. Last week her hair had been a glossy mahogany that matched her brown eyes. Those same eyes now stared forward; milky and sightless.
     "Getting squeamish?" The heavy sound of the Chairman's approachign footsteps made Stieg shut his eyes for a second.
      "No. I've come too far and sacrified too much."


Here are some other authors how parcticipated in Andee Reilly's blog hop! I hope you check them out!

Debbie Herbert : Writes paranormal romance novels with a touch of Southern whimsey. Her novels reflect the belief that love, like magic, casts its own spell of enchantment.

D.T. Krippene: Writes mostly young adult science fiction and fantasy. With an imagination that never slept, his muse refused to be hobbled as a mere dream and now writes full time.


Thank you for stopping by--and let me know what you like to read. 

12 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! I'm excited that you have your second book in the works! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa,
      I am excited myself, and thank you for stopping by! You are fabulous.

      Delete
  2. My lovely woman. IT. IS Fabulous. I LOVE MINA. And you have captured her pixie like self perfectly.

    Wierd sisters forevaah.

    brynn/rr whoever i am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Thank you! This means the world to me! :)

      You are Fabulous. That is what I will call you or Weird sistah...lol

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Heather!
      And I love your Photo icon!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! <3 You have made my day! :)

      Delete
  5. The new blog looks really nice. Your books sounds intriguing. Wishing you much success with it.

    Smiles,

    Linda Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda,
      And I wish you wonderful things as well! :)
      I appreciate your stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Hey there! Your new blog looks beautiful. :) And your book sounds great, too. Wishing you much success with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky!
      You are so sweet, and I appreciate you kind words! I enjoyed making this blog.

      Delete